Thursday, March 20, 2008

Unraveled and Re-Knit


I've completed my first unraveled and re-knit sweater. To be fair it's not exactly a sweater anymore. And it's actually crocheted, not knit. I'm a big fat liar, okay? In the process of unraveling the Charter Club brand machine-knit sweater I lost quite a bit of thread so I had to settle for a much smaller re-creation. Using a loose crochet pattern helped the thread cover much more area than if I had knit it. You can see in the arm pit area of the original sweater that the pattern gets a little complicated. That's where the unraveling became problematic and the thread turned into a mess of knots.

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure why I'm doing this. It's cheaper to reuse old sweater yarn than to buy new yarn, even when you factor in the cost of the sweater. Yarn is wildly expensive and I'm tired of paying for it. And, of course there is something of a comparison between machine-made and hand-made in play here, as well as deconstruction and reconstruction.

I've got four other sweaters unraveling right now and one in the process of becoming a re-knit shirt. I would love if anyone would like to donate old sweaters to this project that are otherwise headed for Goodwill. Single-colored sweaters work best (usually if there are multiple colors the sweater unravels into multiple strands and becomes a mess). Send me an email and I will come get them anywhere in the New York area. monicamjohnson@hotmail.com

No comments: